Report Leaks, Breaks, Clogs


Water Main Breaks

bwa-33Signs of a broken water main are water running down the street and buckled pavement. Main breaks may leave specific areas without water. Residents may experience delays or interruptions in service as crews repair breaks and restore water service. Listed below are all the steps involved in the actual repair of a main break. These will provide clarity to understand the repair process.

Procedures to Repair Main Breaks


  1. Report is received by BWA
  2. A field crew is dispatched to verify the address and specific location of the leak or main break
  3. This verification is phoned in to dispatch
  4. BWA contacts the firm who marks the location of all nearby utilities (gas, telephone, electric, cable), and provides specifics related to the width and depth crews will need to be able to effect repairs.

Note: The firm has up to two hours to mark the utilities. Often BWA personnel arrive before the firm’s staff, but cannot proceed with the repair until they receive approval or until the two hours are exhausted. This two-hour period is mandated by State law.

  1. Once approval is received to dig or the two-hour period is expired, a crew will proceed with repairs.
  2. The repair crew will update dispatch on estimated repair time. A standard repair takes four to five hours to complete. If it is determined that more time will be required to complete the repair, dispatch is updated with this status.

Don’t assume your neighbor will make the call. BWA would rather receive multiple reports about a suspected problem than no calls at all.

Sewer Backups

bwa-31If your sewer backs up, please call the BWA immediately at 817.249.1250. A crew can make sure the blockage is not in the BWA-owned portion of the pipe before you incur the expense of a private plumber.

It is also a good idea for all property owners and tenants to become familiar with the general layout of their plumbing system – especially the location of their sewer “clean-out” outlet. The outlet cover is usually located in the yard and allows easy access to the more distant stretches of the private sewer line so blockages may be removed. A plumber can help locate sewer cleanouts.

Residents can aid in preventing clogged sewer lines by not putting grease and greasy food scraps down the sink or garbage disposal. Grease and meat drippings should be collected in a disposable container and thrown into the trash. Any other greasy leftovers (bones, meat trimmings, etc.) should be thrown into the trash.