BWA has received a few calls about its drinking water having a musty taste and odor. Please be assured that the water is safe for drinking, cooking, bathing and all other purposes, even though it has an earthy smell and taste. The naturally-occurring organic compound responsible for the earthy taste and odor is geosmin. Geosmin is produced by bacteria in soil and algae found in surface water. Cold temperatures kill off the algae in surface water and the dead algae release the geosmin.
Customers may improve the taste of their drinking water by refrigerating the water in an open container, or adding a slice of lemon or lime.